Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Seeking His Heart and Not His Hand

Maybe it's just me.  Then again, maybe it's not.  I've been noticing a trend in the North American Church of late.  It seems to me that many churches these days are looking for the signs and wonders - the manifestation of the things of God.  Don't get me wrong, we need to see God move.  The signs and wonders are what bring people into the kingdom, but I believe that we, as Christians, get off track when we start to look for the miraculous instead of the One who makes the miracles happen.

If Mark 16:17 says that signs and wonders will follow them that believe, why are we running and chasing after the miracles?  The picture that comes to mind here is a dog chasing his tail.  If signs and wonders follow us and we're chasing the signs and wonders... Do you get the picture?

What happened to seeking the Kingdom and God's righteousness?  Wasn't that our instruction?  "Seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things will be added unto you."  I heard a preacher/rapper once say that we need to be seeking God's heart rather than His hand.  Seeking the gifts and signs and wonders, that's all in God's hands.  Where's his heart?  His heart is in our prayer.  In our worship.  In time spent with His Word.  In our every day.  Revival isn't in the seeing, it's in the believing.  It's a heart change, not something we can grasp with our hands.  When we reach for God's heart, He will open His hand.

My brother's heart melts every time his baby son lights up and says, "Hi Dadda!"  God wants us to greet him like that.  "Daddy!  God, my Father, my Lover, my Friend!"  It's not what's in the hands that counts.  It's all about the heart.  We love God for who He is, not what He can do for us.

Personally, I'd rather have a grip on God's heart than His hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment